Tuesday, November 4, 2008

Au fond il n’y a que Matisse


My friend showed me a new trick the other day, one she was almost surprised I hadn’t tried- she taught me how to make a simple monotype by drawing in crayon on a piece of sandpaper, covering the drawing with paper and ironing the back of the paper which melts the wax onto the paper, leaving the transferred image. What fun!

I ran home a did six of them, eager to escape the two nearly finished larger works on canvas I’d been toiling away at for over a month. I have the attention span of a flea, and I’ve needed a distraction from my larger projects- something new to play with on a smaller scale, something I could finish in one or two sessions. Of course, I couldn’t resist painting atop the monotype.
The bird theme dominating my larger canvases found it’s way into these small paintings, a symbol or letter in my own language that has been popping up in my work since old school days- as the great master Picasso often said, “Au fond il n’y a que Matisse” (All things considered, there is only Matisse). What better said?