Sunday, November 30, 2008

Autumn #1 and #2






“Autumn #1” and “Autumn #2” are finished! I have been working on them in tandem since the end of September. I only stopped to make a dozen or so sketches and a handful of smaller crayon & acrylic monotypes during the process. These are a larger paintings than I typically make, measuring 24 x 30” each, and are a return to my mixed media/collage method, deeply layered in gold and bronze acrylic with paper and canvas collage- very tactile and colorful. I gravitate to this very process-oriented fashion of painting, slowly building a thick stratum of texture and color- though I have explored a variety of mixed media, I will never be done with the endless possibilities.

While there wasn’t anything particularly allegorical or meaningful intended in their creation, a couple people were intrigued by the fact that the birds were all flying downward, diving. As far as my conscious & present mind can offer/explain, this means nothing. For some reason, and probably the obvious reason, all my body of work is subject to analytical scrutiny- the truth is that I was making a couple paintings based on my love of design, color & materials.
Birds as an emblem or icon go way back in history, denoting a source of food, harbinger of death or sorrow, symbol of freedom, or representation of a god. Winged creatures seem magical to us earthbound terrestrials- it is of little wonder why we tie so much importance to them, such primal amazement to their ability to fly! And getting into Superman, Icarus, Henri Matisse, or the delicious turkey I ate this past Thanksgiving holiday is hardly worth it- you get the idea. I’m likely representing much less real meaning than a Paleolithic cave painter. Uggg!

CM Shaw
Nov. 30th, 2008

“Autumn #1” and “Autumn #2” will be featured at Deck The Walls at West County Center in the month of December!
Deck The Walls
119 West County Center
Des Peres, MO 63131
(314)966-6965
www.westcounty.deckthewalls.com