Sunday, January 18, 2009

More January Paintings




More winter/bird paintings found their way onto my drawing table- I’m enjoying painting these on paper in black and white, two here with charcoal and acrylic on paper, one acrylic with a little colored pencil. I am especially pleased with the black/icicle one, “January No.5”- it seems as cold as the end of this past week! Brrrrrrr!

A friend asked if I was feeling ok after seeing these! She observed that my color is usually so vibrant, and my sudden turn to stark black and white seemed unsettling. While, it’s true that some of my recent winter paintings look chilly, I am writing this in my cozy little apartment, with food in my refrigerator and the heat on. In truth, I have been having the best time trying to break these drawings/paintings down to their most simple and singular essence.

I’m very lucky/blessed to be loving what I do, painting, making the new record with my band, enjoying warm shelter and good food. A lot of people across this country, across the world are really having a hard time, and the recent cold weather felt like an official stamp on our collective conscience. The Winter of Our Discontent. My buddy DJ told me that when it warmed up on Saturday he felt a deep comfort in that, knowing it will again be warm not so long from now... in time the weather will change. I hope you are staying warm- this shall all soon pass.

CM Shaw
January 2009

1 comment: