Thursday, July 16, 2009

Holy Family


While I was relaxing in the office the other day shuffling through art and interior magazines, tearing out pages that interest me visually, I came upon an extensive fold-out ad by BMW that impressed me. It must have cost them a fortune! On one side was a two-page overhead photo of South African artist Robin Rhode’s 100 x 200 foot “Expression of Joy”, which opened in the center revealing an extensive article on how the painter came to create this monumental canvas using paint dispensers fit on the back of a BMW Z4 Roadster. Show business, Baby!

 Before you accuse me of scribbling, which I would wholeheartedly encourage, remember that all that was there in the raw appropriated material for my mixed media collage- so I just went with it. Extending the scrolling lines beyond the collaged pieces of magazine paper onto the bare canvas, and highlighting/cutting out the figures in paint, I tried to tie it all together, establish some unity in the painting’s design. I certainly succeed in creating something completely new, something far removed from anything I’d ever done.

2 comments:

Dan Jaboor said...

Very interesting effect. it does look like scribbles at first but there is an amazing amount of complexity as well. Funny that you should mention feeling alone by a lack of religious artists, because they seem to be popping up everywhere for me. Maybe you should try NOT looking?

Colin said...

i wouldn't describe myself as religious... and i'm not looking for "religious" artists... only someone to talk to about SPRITUALITY. sorry... might've been too vague there...