Monday, August 24, 2009

2009 Poetry Scores Art Invitational


I will be participating in the 2009 Poetry Scores Art Invitational on Friday, Nov. 13 at The Luminary Arts Center, 4900 Reber Place at South Kingshighway- right across from Tower Grove Park. Poetry Scores is a local arts organization that translates poetry into other media, their main medium is the poetry score- a long poem set to music as one scores a film. At the CD release party for the finished score, an art auction will take place, contributing artists having made work that both responds to the poem and is titled after a verbatim quote from the poem. This year’s Invitational is devoted to the poem “The Sydney Highrise Variations” by the Australian poet Les Murray.

I was honored to be asked to be invited by Chris King, editorial director of the award-winning St. Louis American, Confluence City blogger, and hard-working Poetry Scores board member. While I am no poet, I regularly lift bits of song lyrics/titles as inspiration for my work, so I am notably qualified. I will be studying Les Murray’s poem closely for the next couple weeks in preparation for my finished artwork- stay tuned!

(Pictured above: untitled crayon/watercolor from one of my private sketchbook)

2 comments:

Brian Anderson said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Brian Anderson said...

Sounds cool! Been meaning to check that place out on Kingshighway.