Monday, January 9, 2012

The Wild, Wild Sea, 1993

40 x 52"

While at home for Christmas, I snapped some candid pictures of some of my earlier paintings around the house, including "The Wild, Wild Sea" pictured above, created in 1993 at East Central College under the tutelage of Chuck SHOEmaker. Since I wrote about SHOE in my last post, I thought I'd share a canvas I created in those years back at the old school   :)  The painting courses at East Central back then were tailored to the individual, and SHOE pushed me to "go big", push to the limit of my ability, and pursue my inner vision. It was a romantic time in my life when the possiblities seemed endless!

I still incorporate this method of canvas collage in my painting today. Looking back at the work, this wasn't too shabby for a second semester painting student- if it wasn't  good it was certainly ambitious. The strip lattice frame I built around the hand stretched canvas even has little "pictograms" up both sides (see below). I made things with care even back then, and am proud at how well it's held up- it looks the same as the day it was made  :)



No comments: