Wednesday, March 28, 2012

Anomaly


As I said in my last post, many of the canvases Dale and I created for the Dueling Minds show shared striking similarities, but not all of them.  Our respective versions of Anomaly also turned out very different. An anomaly is a deviation from the common rule, type, arrangement, or form- certainly a word most relevant  to our "conversation in canvas" on the individual and perception.  Dale utilized a seemingly more organized method, overlapping a fabric pattern transferred in paint onto a warm khaki ground, metallic gold filling the horizontal magenta bars floating above the surface of the canvas. My version of  Anomaly doesn't have surface texture,  any spacial illusion in the monochromatic, circular swirls merely implied. As chaotic as it looks, Anomaly did begin in an organized fashion, two perfectly measured pencil circles overlapping in the middle, still visible in the finished piece. Several of my peices for this show began with a circle- it's the perfect shape, no beginning and no end. And when you aren't sure where to start, a circle will get the ball rilling, so to speak.

 
Anomaly, D. Wilke
acrylic on canvas, 20 x 24"


Anomaly, C.M. Shaw
acrylic on canvas, 20 x 24"

$150.00 each/$275.00 for the pair

Concrete Ocean Art Gallery
(314)497-0199


Come see the show at our closing reception at Concrete Ocean, March 30th from 7:00-11:00 PM!
See more of my available works at my WORKS AVAILABLE page at Shawart.com :)
email me if you are interested!

No comments: