Monday, May 14, 2012

Fire In the Sky

Fire In the Sky, 2011
acrylic on canvas, 24 x 30"
$175.00

This canvas was one of the first I made for the recent Dueling Minds show with Dale Wilke at Concrete Ocean. Not meant to be part of the concept portion of the show in which Dale and I worked from the same painting title, it was an initial exercise for my forthcoming switch to a non-objective style I would appropriate for the show. Until this point I had only dabbled in abstract work, and I needed a period of "warming up" before taking on the larger body of work to come.

Unsure of where to begin, I brushed large strokes of bright yellow to begin, returning to accentuate the variations where they had dried in an earthy yellow oxide, letting the canvas direct me as it evolved. Orange acrylic was then used in the foreground, after which I returned to the bright yellow and yellow oxide to knock some of the shapes back in. The dancing color reminds me of an ancient cave painting or Native American tribal art- a fitting comparison, the genesis of that new group of paintings born here during a very hot summer of 2011. In the solitude of my upstairs apartment, the wheels of creativity were turning, and I was... evolving. 

See more of my available works at my WORKS AVAILABLE page at Shawart.com :)   EMAIL ME if you are interested!

No comments: