Sunday, January 6, 2013

Art Movie: Passanise @ Bruno David



I've felt like I wanted to do some art movies on YouTube for awhile now but was unsure where to start. Gary Passanise's October show at Bruno David was a sort of happy accident, in that I often have my camera function dial on the wrong setting from pulling it in and out of my pocket while on the run around town. The snippet at the beginning of this was perfect, captured while trying to get a decent shot of Gary next to his canvas on opening night this past autumn. I added some shots of the four huge abstracts the artist painted on industrial drop-cloths, some music, and Voilá! He did a gallery talk a month later that I hated missing- I lead a busy life. Gary was very gracious at the opening however, sharing his experience and some insight on his working method and thought processes in making the new works. I posted about Gary this summer when I made a quick painting if him- the Director of Painting at Webster University and founding Executive Director at the Santo Foundation, Gary is an accomplished artist represented by Bruno David Gallery here in St. Louis.

No comments: