Saturday, July 28, 2007

No Mercy in My Sleep


“No Mercy In My Sleep” is an oil pastel & acrylic painting on paper- I have really been enjoying working this way recently. There is no surface preparation, such as in canvas or board- I just start drawing & painting right onto the watercolor block (tablet of heavy cotton paper stacked & seamed in plastic around the perimeter to restrict the paper from warping). I’m up and going instantly, and I’ve combined my love of drawing and painting in a seemingly more immediate fashion. Either that or it comes easier due to the excitement of working in a different way, smearing my fingertips into the oil pastel marks I left, forgoing discipline of the brush and embracing the urge of creation… making marks… playing…

I created “No Mercy” hastily one recent morning after a rather gory nightmare that shook me deeply. Clear your head & heart before you lay down to sleep.