Thursday, March 18, 2010

Receiver

"Receiver" (sketch)
marker, ballpoint pen, correction fluid on paper
8 1/2 x 11"


COLIN MICHAEL SHAW AT CONCRETE OCEAN, 2257 S. JEFFERSON, ST. LOUIS, MO 3/19/10
This show is really a retrospective of a few of the different mixed media working methods I have employed in the last seven years of painting in St. Louis. I came to St. Louis to paint in 1997 and began working immediately in my little upstairs studio on Watson Road, just off Hampton Avenue. Unable to catch the attention of any galleries in town, I would often sell work by word of mouth or by carrying a stash of prints in my car to sell wherever I happened to be. Within the first couple of years opportunities for commission had arrived, and I had won a corner to sell paintings and prints in a little store called Archetypes on the bustling Delmar Loop in University City. A few years later I would find success in a string of shows across the state in Springfield, MO- It would be some time, however, before I was given my own show in a St. Louis art gallery.
Some of these paintings have been shown across the state in Springfield, MO, some have shown in St. Louis fairly recently, and several have never been shown at all. I felt this was an interesting grouping of some of the different styles I have worked in- a chance to see where I came from, a chance to wonder where I’ll go and how I’ll mature.

"Receiver" 2003
acrylic and torn paper collage on plywood
8 x 12"

No comments: