Tuesday, December 6, 2011

All The King's Horses

"All The King's Horses"   $185.00
acrylic, mixed media collage on canvas
30 x 40"
Contact PHD Gallery, St. Louis, MO (314)664-6644

Another big painting from my showing at Urban Eats in summer 2010. Like "Ship of Fools", collaged scraps of canvas are utilized as narrative panels, illustrated in glue to dry, forming a raised line. It's very textured, many layers of metallic & black acrylic wash making it look like an ancient slab of carved bronze. A couple folks threatened to buy it, but no love yet. The armored Roman/Greek soldier theme is again present- don't ask me to explain this, because I have no idea! Concerning this particular canvas, I do remember hearing a Robert Plant tune, "All The King's Horses", the lyrics committing:

"All the King's horses, all the King's men
I'll weave a circle round the sun
Throw down my arms and give my all
I'll be your soldier of love..."


I liked that a lot, the notion of removing one's "armor", and laying bare the heart that lies beneath. A brave thing to say, and harder yet to do. Personally, my timing is poor, and the romantic inside me often falls short of other's expectations, and often my own. But I feel a great deal of love in my life on many levels, so....  often times, we "get what we get" and should be grateful for that.

See more of my available works at my WORKS AVAILABLE page at ShawArt.com :)
email me if you are interested!

No comments: