Saturday, February 4, 2012

Show Postcards!



My show partner Dale ordered the cards he had designed, which should arrive Monday. I've never been one to have these made for shows, feeling their impact is dubious at best these days, social media dominating attention for events here in the 21st century. Dale felt we could get some use out of them, so I went along with it for the novelty of experience, and I liked how the design turned out.


Each of our versions of "The Divide" are featured on the verso, so it's a sneak peek at what the work looks like. That said, many of the 22 canvases I've been working on since last June look wildly different from one another, and their non-objective nature radically "cool" in comparison to my emotionally charged work of the past. Like the press release in my last post stated, I opted to paint completely abstract images for this show, as is Dale's style, to establish some unity. Also important however, was the need to challenge myself to something I'd never done- how would I approach the predetermined titles without using the loaded images, personal symbolism, & narrative style I was accustomed to working in? It wasn't easy!

Left intact with each canvas, however, were my expectations of what I deem a finished, presentable work of art- a complex & difficult to explain system of characteristics, based mostly on aesthetic taste I'm sure, but also presentation. I just knew when I was finished with each one, save a couple that became overworked & had to be redone. Many of them appear rather simple, but required several layers of work to satisfy the demands of my personal vision. One of my friends said they looks as though someone else painted them, which pleased me greatly. Some may not appreciate the 180 degree turn in my work, but I was challenged and invigorated by the experience and I hope the audience will feel the same upon viewing them.

"The Divide"
acrylic on canvas, 20 x 24"

Dueling Minds: Colin Shaw & Dale Wilke
Opening Reception:
Friday, Feb. 24th 2012 7:00PM - 11:00 PM
Concrete Ocean Art Gallery
2257 S. Jefferson Avenue, at Shenandoah
Saint Louis, MO 63104
concreteoceanart.com

No comments: