Thursday, March 4, 2010

Preparations


"Shroud No.1" and "Shroud No.2" 2009
acrylic, cut cardboard, 16 x 20"

I'm very quickly assembling the lineup for my March 19th show at Concrete Ocean Art Gallery, detailed in the previous blog post. As I said before, it will be varied assortment of my mixed media work from the last six years or so, including the two pieces pictured above, which I made this past October- you can read about them in my October blog post. These "shroud paintings" are really different than some of the figurative works that will accompany them in the show, but will tie into the lineup through the common materials used in a couple of the other pieces that will be shown, including my portrait of Tony Renner, also crafted in cut cardboard.

From my press release on the forthcoming showing:
Moving to St. Louis in 1997, Shaw began showing his work wherever he could while honing his emotionally charged, mercurial approach to art- a labyrinth variety of internal symbolism and approaches to working evolved over the next thirteen years. Mixed media works from the artist’s last six years will reveal fantastical whimsy, social commentary, as well as examination concerning the mythos of the artist as subject.

No comments: