Thursday, January 29, 2009

Works on Corrugated Cardboard





As I mentioned in my last blog entry, local artist Tony Renner proposed an “outsider” art show when we met for a bite at Blueberry Hill a couple weeks ago, restrictions for works in this show being that all the art be made with or on cardboard, and that no artist involved possess “too much art education”. This got me really excited! Cardboard is a roundly venerated and reviled substrate, praised for it’s strength, versatility and availability, damned for it’s acidic content and reputation as trash to be used and recycled. Artists have worked on cardboard for a long time though, before we all realized the ph balance of the paper we were working on could affect the longevity of our finished art, but as I told Tony, a few years back I stood at the art museum looking at a pastel drawing Georges Rouault created on cardboard around the turn of the century, so…

“January No.6” and “January No.7” are my first two on cardboard, and I have two more in silver drying on my board right now. I’ve really enjoyed cutting designs through the top layer to reveal the corrugated innards. Cardboard IS really tough, and my imagination is alight with all the possibilities- more to come…

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Colin,

I enjoy cardboard as well, all recycled goods go through intense scrutiny in my apartment for their use value as a medium before they get tossed in the bin.

Those are great designs, I like the layering. Especially like the detail on the top one.

Best,

David Metcalfe

ChaoticBlackSheep said...

I like your recent works. There is a beautiful sereneness and subtlety to them.

The cardboard show sounds quite cool. I wouldn't be a good fit, but you should ask Cindy Royal if she'd be interested.
http://www.royalartworks.com/

Tony Renner said...

excellent work, colin!