Saturday, November 12, 2011

Soldier

"Soldier" 2010    
carved PVC board, acrylic, varnish
8.75 x 15.625"


I produced three of these carvings on “signpainter’s board", for a show last year. This substrate is essentially a thick PVC board that can be cut and shaped with carpentry tools or even with a small hand tool- in my case a bamboo pick I fashioned by hand for sculpture class at the university many years ago. I painted this in many washes of a deep iridescent red acrylic which has a somewhat metallic luster to it, then varnished it heavily with a glossy coat.

While I haven't been working with the figure at all on my new paintings this year, I don't feel as though I'm done with it. I had a great time with male figures I did last year, and would like to continue that some day. They don't sell as well as my females. A couple of my girlfriends really gushed over this guy. I just liked the left breastplate of his armor shaped like a heart.


email me if you are interested

No comments: